Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Michael Yon, again

Dang, I posted the previous Yon stuff one day to early.

So add to yesterdays, Michael Yon today has Moment of Truth in Iraq. Yon gives a good recap of what he observed in 2007 and announces a soon to be released book which sounds like will cover the Petraeus strategy past, present, and what it might lead to in the future. I think I'll have to hit the Yon store again...
  • In January 2007, growing doubts I had about our ability to stave off an eventual genocide in Iraq were intensified by our failure to competently manage the media battlespace. Within the military I sensed a growing censorship and was myself denied access to the battlefields in 2006. After months of fighting with Army Public Affairs for access, they relented, but only due to public pressure following the publication of an article in the Weekly Standard. An expanded version of the article “On Censorship” was published as the dispatch “Al Sahab—the Cloud” on my website. The article was blunt; by then I’d been fighting for about six months to re-embed with troops.

Fred08

No comments: