Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Iraq update July 11, 2007

Michael Yon has his latest dispatch up. He describes what I'll refer to as the Diyala Salvation Council. I'm not going to attempt to summarize it for you because, as with any of his dispatches, that would be the same as me taking a piece of paper and a couple of crayons out and drawing the "Mona Lisa". It ain't happening.

I will mention one point he brings up that was interesting, and that is the fact that the Sunni's and Shia in Iraq do NOT consider Al Qaeda as Muslim.

Kimberly Kagan at the Wall Street Journal has an article up called "Moving Forward in Iraq" and John McCain addresses the Senate about Iraq in the Defense Authorization Act. Both will give you great background on what's going on. Although, with the major operations of "the surge" just now mid way through week three, I still say it's way too early for anyone to declare it won or lost, but that seems to be the theme lately. So, balance out what the old media gives you on the "it's lost" side with what McCain and Kagan present on the "it's won" side. Me? I think I'd like it to see it run until September when the agreed upon report from the General in charge is due to come in.

Syria is obviously still a problem and will need to be dealt with at some point.

I have some friends that want info specific to the Green Zone, but I'm just not finding a lot about that. I'm not sure why, other than it's supposedly loaded up with old media that apparently just don't feel like reporting. What I've come up with is that a few months ago, daily mortar and rocket attacks were the norm. Now it seems like it's less often, but on a larger scale. I'd have to say it's probably about the same, just different. I'm thinking if you know anyone there, encourage them to head to the bunkers when the alarms go off. I've got no read on at what point this issue will clear up.

Cool, if I stop here, it'll almost be a readable post!

Consider it a wrap...

No comments: